24 February 2014

Feature on Creative: The Streets furniture


2 weeks ago the above arrived in our shop and with great joy we installed it into a special corner of it's own. Dressed with beautiful Urchin Art mugs and Foreva candles this furniture set looked deliciously ready for our guests to arrive! We've had many compliments on our new addition to our furniture collection and it's all thanks to Neil from The Streets furniture. 
We asked Neil a few questions about how The Streets came about and what his plans are for the future. Read on to find out more....

1// How did The Streets Furniture begin? When / where / how did it all start? 
It all started about 4 years ago. I was busy completing my bachelor of music at varsity and all though i love and still compose music, I was not loving the pressure of that particular environment, needless to say I was looking for a new creative outlet. My father owns a large timber mill and I used to enjoy tinkering about in his factory, one day a friend came and saw us and wanted to know if I could build a dining room table, we agreed!and after a loooooong time and many painful mistakes along the way the table was birthed and thus 'The Streets Furniture' began. From then on friends and family started asking me to build furniture for their homes ,which i was happy to do, and now I have my own style of furniture which i supply to people all over the country.

2// Why do you do what you do? 
I do it because I love the medium of wood, I love the ways it looks, feels and especially smells! I guess i'm just a creative person and get a kick out of turning imagination into reality, Its a very satisfying process, especially since what i'm creating is tangible.

3// When you were younger what did you want to be when you grew up?!
I wanted to be exactly what i am now to be honest, a wood worker and a musician. I'm still grappling with what it means to be those things but I feel that in many ways I am living my dream.

4// What inspires you when designing new products?
I enjoy scouring the internet for new ideas, obviously the reclaimed/green furniture is very 'in' at the moment. So I try to incorporate that as much as I can but I especially enjoy the clean lines of steel in conjunction with the unpredictability of timber. Basically if it's going to look good and its made from timber, i'm inspired!

5// What are your hopes and dreams for your products?
Through eyes of faith I see the Streets becoming a well known contemporary furniture brand with range of unique products that are instantly recognizable! A set range of products as opposed to a my rad of different custom made products like i have been doing. I also see several outlets for my own and others designs.

6// About you… 
What’s your - Top Song? where I end you begin by Radiohead
Top Food? Hmm Ive just been to Cape Town so sea food I'd say
Top beverage? Good old coke o cola
Top Place? Anywhere in Switzerland

7// Imagine you are heading out for dinner with a bunch of creative geniuses - who would be sitting around the table with you? 
Steve Jobs would definitely be one of them if he was still alive, his philosophy on design and the general aesthetic of his products are absolutely remarkable, I'd pick his brain about as many things as possible, Thom Yorke and Matthew Bellamy would also need to be there as I don them as some of the all time creative geniuses in music!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...