06 November 2013

Feature on Creative - Oak & Willow

At The Ruby Orchard we continually seek to find beautiful and unique products for the store. We enjoy hunting craft markets, using social media and looking at what is on trend in the UK & worldwide to select our stock for the next season.

We love all our products in store but what we love even more is the talent behind the products...
And so to show our appreciation for the talent we have decided to create a new Wednesday creative feature on our blog to introduce you to the talented people that ensure The Ruby Orchard is stocked with amazingly beautiful products!

Our first 'feature on creative' are the gorgeous creative couple from Oak & Willow. We discovered Oak & Willow at 'I heart' Market and now they supply us with the most beautiful and effective wooden signs adorned with lovely sayings and quotes.

Here's what Janice had to say...


When / where / how did Oak & Willow begin?
This is how our business started... Nick proposed to me and three months later we were to have our wedding. Me... being the fussy pants that I am wanted decor exactly how I could see it in my mind. Luckily for me I have a super crafty Dad who loves making anything and has worked with wood for many years. My parents and I set out to hand-make-it all, from the wooden hearts hanging above the dance floor to all the wooden signs.
At the wedding everyone was instagramming this décor and asking where we got it. And it was then that we realized we may have a feasible business on our hands.  So we simply decided to start a little business by hand-crafting wooden décor,

Why do you do what you do?
Because we love being crafty and seeing final products made.  This isn't our full-time jobs actually... we do this on the side simply because we love too.

When you were younger what did you want to be when you grew up?!
I always wanted to be a veterinarian. I LOVE animals but when I realized that you deal mostly with sick animals I learnt that I wouldn't be the best for the job as I would get emotionally-attached to these animals.

What inspires you when designing new products?
Hopeful quotes. I see a quote I love - we make it.  It's as simple as that really.  I also love up-cycling so that also inspires me.

What are your hopes and dreams for your products?
I'd love to see them in more shops like The Ruby Orchard. I'd also love to work alongside wedding planners and brides and help the bride create the most beautiful wedding, I'd also love to be "in the know" with all interior decorators.

About you... What's your - Top Song? Top Food? Top beverage? Top Place Top movie?
Top song - All songs by the Foster the people - great band
Top Food - Hamburgers
Top beverage - Tea
Top place - USA
Top movie - The Notebook

Imagine you are heading out for dinner with a bunch of creative geniuses - who would be sitting around the table with you?
Blake Mycoskie from TOMS shoes in USA, Amy Venter from Jane Sews, Scott Harrison from Charity Water in New York, I wish I could meet Steve Jobs from Apple, and my friend Jess Swart - I love her innovative spirit and ability to dream big.

Below are a few pictures of the Oak & Willow signs that are available at The Ruby Orchard...






No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...