13 November 2013

Feature on Creative - Alice May


Alice May is the genius behind the gorgeous dippy egg boards we have in store. In week 2 of our 'Feature on Creative' we ask Alice what her hopes and dreams are, what inspires her and even her favourite drink.   Read on to find out more about her history in shoe design and her dinner with Heidi Klum! Wow lucky girl!



How did Alice May Stationery begin? When /Where / How?
I studied graphic design in Cape Town after school but somehow I got into making shoes with a local cobbler and selling them part time. I did this while I studies using Alice May as my shoe and handbag label.  I then moved back to Durban and when I got the job as the shoe designer for a well loved local leather show brand for 6 years.  While I loved my job, the entrepreneur and creative soul in me was jumping out my chest and Alice May was born again as a paper and wood brand!

Why do you do what you do?
I love the freedom of creativity and to express my ideas in beautiful useful ways

When you were younger what did you want to be when you grew up?!
A vet! I adored animals growing up and thought I would be a vet... biology class cured me of that when live frogs were involved.

What inspires you when designing new products?
I love working with paper and wood so I do look to nature for ideas of shapes etc.  I like to be on trend so I'm always watching clothing fashion and even home interior trends to figure out what gals are after.

What are your hopes and dreams for your products?
I would love to be the Crabtree and Evelyn of paper design if that makes sense.  When looking for a beautiful hand cream or bath oil for a special gift, from the product to the packaging, Crabtree is an instant idea.  I would like to be known for that in my paper and wood product ranges.

About you... What's you...
Top song - Our wedding song 2 months ago - Shaun Jacobs - Love Can
Top food - Anything from Sage in Salt Rock! Just beautiful food cooked from scratch and I can sit back in beautiful scenery and have my glass of wine and the world is a perfect place.
Top beverage - pimms and gingerbeer in summer
Top Place - Salt Rock, love my new home town on the beach.
Top movie - Hard one! Haven't seen a good movie in forever.

Imagine you are heading out for dinner with a bunch of creative geniuses - who would be sitting around the table with you?
I actually sat at that exact table you speak of when I was in Milan for a function with Heidi Klum, Roberto and Eva Cavalli and Dinae VonFurstenburg and Sarah Flint. Ain't nothing going to beat that conversation :)

Alice Mays Dippy Egg boards made from solid Oak are beautifully finished come in 5 quirky designs and are available at The Ruby Orchard for R175.

 
Alice May New range of Gift Tags - Hoping to have in stock in 2014!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...